IowaWORKS Summer program
Thursday / May 11, 2017
MARSHALLTOWN – Looking for something fun to do this summer? Are you a parent looking for a positive activity to start your young adults’ summer off? IowaWORKS Iowa Valley is excited to offer a new youth/young adults summer learning program. The Limelight Leadership Academy will be held June 5-9 from 9 am to 3 pm.
This fun educational week will be packed with motivation, determination and a way to start carving the young participants’ path to the future. The academy is available to individuals 14-24 years old who reside in Hardin, Poweshiek, Tama or Marshall County. “Each day is planned to help you find your passion and what drives you and to help you learn the skills to stand out above others with leadership skills while building lifelong friendships,” says Kim Brinkmeyer, Event Coordinator.
The agenda for the week includes:
- Day 1 – Map out career passions with internationally recognized motivational strategist, trainer and author, Coach D!
- Day 2 – Learn essential soft skills for all aspects of life. Prepare to be challenged on the Iowa Valley Adventures Challenge Course!
- Day 3 – Learn ways to be proud of your identity with motivational speaker, author, radio host and mentor Joshua Coburn! Prepare nutritious meals and explore ways to live a healthy lifestyle. Learn self-defense with situational awareness.
- Day 4 – Learn to present well in interviews, then get ready to launch summer employment and meet local employers.
- Day 5 – Gain experience by giving back to the community. Celebration of the leadership skills gained!
There is no cost to participate in this academy. All sessions will start at Iowa Valley Continuing Education, 3702 S. Center St. in Marshalltown. Participants can join the program for one day or all week. Food will be provided, and transportation assistance is available. The academy is sponsored by IowaWORKS Iowa Valley, Iowa Valley Community College District, Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation, and the Iowa Department for the Blind.