Lifelong learners will enjoy Creative Retirement
Friday / September 13, 2019
The Creative Retirement program, sponsored by Iowa Valley Continuing Education since 1996, invites area residents to join the group this fall. Creative Retirement (CR) is offering a great lineup of educational programs and tours over the next several months. The programs are open to CR members and non-members alike, but members can register for programs at a reduced member rate.
“When a person reaches age 50, he or she is eligible for membership in AARP; at age 55, many people are opting for early retirement,” says Julie Thomas, IVCE Community & Workforce Education Coordinator. “Our population includes many healthy, active people in this age group … truthfully, at 55 most people can look forward to another 25 or 30 years to enjoy life more than ever before. Enjoying life to the fullest and remaining an active, vital member of the community requires a focus on fitness, both physical and mental. That is where Creative Retirement comes in!”
Thomas says Creative Retirement is a program of retirees, by retirees, for retirees to enhance the retirement years by providing learning opportunities and other activities. The program is managed by a Creative Retirement Program Council, which provides courses and events of the highest quality.
These fall Creative Retirement programs are coming up soon:
- “Downsizing: Planning your Next Move” presented in a three-part series beginning Tuesday, Sept. 17.
- “Trip to Ireland” program by Steve Rowden on Tuesday, Sept. 24.
- A Downtown Marshalltown Tornado Recovery Trip on Wednesday, Oct. 9; the trip will include lunch at Smokin’ G’s restaurant.
- A series titled “Marshall County History” starting Monday, Oct. 14. The series will focus on the amazing story of Riverside Cemetery, transportation (rail and Lincoln Highway) crucial to the formation of local businesses and industries, and the role of women in creating, growing and maintaining Marshalltown.
- “Mussolini and Fascism: An Introduction” meets on four Wednesdays, Oct. 14, 23, 30 & Nov. 6.
- Creative Retirement Roundtable Discussion Group meets the every other week throughout the year.
- Lunch and speaker/program “Broadband in the Heart of Iowa” on Friday, Oct. 25.
- Lunch and speaker/program “The Iowa River Trail” on Friday, Nov. 8.
- Winter Holiday luncheon scheduled for Friday, Dec. 8, featuring a performance by the Marshalltown High School Choral Group.
“Creative Retirement gives adults the opportunity to enjoy a stimulating mental experience as well as a social opportunity to interact with other active community members,” says Thomas. The cost of an annual Creative Retirement membership is $20 per person.
Additional information and course registrations are available online at IowaValley.com, or by calling 641-752-4645.