Skip To Main Content

High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED)

The thought of studying and taking tests keeps some adults from pursuing a High School Equivalency Diploma/HSED. They imagine ‘school’ will be like their last education experience – often a negative situation that caused them to quit.

Taking the first step back into a classroom may seem scary, but most are pleasantly surprised at what awaits them in the Iowa Valley Continuing Education HSED classrooms. Our high school equivalency classes are offered at locations in Hardin, Marshall, Poweshiek and Tama Counties. Our instructors are caring, experienced, and happy to help each individual. Classes are held at varying days/times in these four locations:

  • The Education & Training Center at 206 E. Church Street in Marshalltown
  • Ellsworth Community College campus at 1100 College Avenue in Iowa Falls
  • Iowa Valley Community College Grinnell at 123 6th Avenue West in Grinnell
  • Iowa Valley Tama County Education Center at 215 W. 9th Street in Tama

IVCE’s HSED classes are structured to help adults at all levels, whether they have very little schooling or they just need to finish a class or two. Adults aged 17 and older who are no longer enrolled in high school can take Adult Basic Education classes to prepare themselves to take the HSED tests. Each final test costs $10.75, and all testing is done on the computer unless an accommodation is needed for paper-based testing.

Classes run year-round, with a minimal fee plus books (if applicable). Students will receive instruction that directly relates to their individual educational needs, and instructors will assist one-on-one if students have specific questions.

Note: “Persons seeking to meet the Iowa High School Equivalency Diploma requirements should be aware of companies that claim to offer testing over the Internet or through correspondence courses. There are no online correspondence testing programs recognized by the General Educational Development Testing Service (GEDTS) of the American Council on Education (ACE). Persons can only take the Official HSED Test Battery at an approved Iowa HSED test center. The only way to receive an Iowa High School Equivalency Diploma is to successfully pass the Official Test Battery by Iowa state standards, which is called HiSET.”

Education & Training Center Business Hours

  • Monday, Wednesday & Thursday – 8 am to 8 pm
  • Tuesday – 8 am to 4:30 pm
  • Friday – 8 am to Noon

Career Instructor Coordinator

Kathy Siebring

Kathy Siebring

Tama Adult Literacy Instructor

Ricarda Drummer

Ricarda Drummer
  • Live Chat