Nurse Aide/Advanced Nurse Aide/Restorative Aide
Iowa Valley Continuing Education (IVCE) offers a variety of direct caregiver health career preparation courses, including Nurse Aide, Advanced Nurse Aide, and Rehabilitation Aide. These courses will prepare you to provide direct care to the elderly or chronically ill in healthcare settings. Information about these courses and the required testing is listed below.
- Nurse Aide Career Flier
- Upcoming Nurse Aide Phase I (75-Hour) course
- Register online now or call 641-752-4645
The Nurse Aide Phase I (75-Hour) course involves a minimum of 75 hours of training: 30 hours classroom instruction, 15 hours lab training, and 30 hours clinical experience in a long-term care setting. This class prepares you to take the required state competency exams to be able to work as a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) in Iowa. The candidate must pass the computerized nurse aide exam and the nurse aide skills exam to be listed on the Iowa Direct Care Worker Registry (learn about accessing the Iowa Direct Care Worker Registry). Being listed on the Iowa Direct Care Worker Registry enables you to work as a CNA in long-term care. Candidates must also complete Child and Dependent Adult Abuse Reporting online courses prior to clinical.
Prospective nurse aide students must enroll in the Background Check class and the Mandatory Nurse Aide Orientation class. Students must pass the background check and provide all required documentation of immunizations and two-step TB testing prior to enrollment in the nurse aide course.
- Iowa Criminal History Record Check Form
- Iowa Department of Human Services Authorization Release of Child & Dependent Adult Abuse Information
Employer Voucher Form
Employers must complete this form when they are paying for book, workbook, scrubs, and/or a watch for their employee/our nurse aide student.
- Nurse Aide Employer Voucher Agreement Form (fillable pdf)
Nurse Aide Student Health Requirements
- Nurse Aide Required Immunizations TB Testing for Students
- TB Testing Documents
- Nurse Aide Hepatitis B Vaccine Information & Waiver
- Immunization Request Release Form
Nurse Aide Uniform Requirements
- Seal Blue scrubs (photo to the left)
- Solid closed-toe shoe (no mesh tennis shoes or sandals)
- Watch with a second hand
- CNA Exam Registration Form
- Nurse Aide Computer-Based Exam
- Nurse Aide Skills Exam
To be eligible to work as a certified nurse aide in a long term care facility in the state of Iowa, a person must be registered on the Iowa Direct Care Worker Registry. To be placed on the registry, you must pass both a computerized competency exam and a skills exam, which are offered at community colleges including IVCE.
The Computer Based State Competency Exam consists of 100 multiple choice test questions. There is only one best answer. It is recommended that you answer all questions. You will be given two hours to complete the exam. Pre-registration and payment for the computer-based competency exam is required. No language dictionaries or interpreters are allowed during testing. The statewide fee for the computerized competency exam is $55, to be paid at the time the exam is scheduled. A score of 70% or above is considered a passing. You may take the computer-based competency exam up to three times before further training is required. The exam fee must be paid each time the exam is taken.
The Skills Exam consists of a patient care scenario and you have 45 minutes to complete the care. Points are given for the care provided. A score of 70% or above is required to pass. You will receive feedback from the testing proctor. Statewide fee for the skills exam is $95, payable at the time of exam scheduling. The skills exam may be taken up to three times before further training is required. The exam fee must be paid for each test. A one week period is required between exams and a different testing proctor is required each exam.
Computer-Based/Skills Exam Scheduling
- You can call 641-752-4645 to schedule your exam; credit card information is required at this time. You can also schedule in person at IVCE, 3702 S. Center St., Marshalltown. Cash, check, and credit card payments are accepted with in-person scheduling.
- You must show a photo ID before beginning the exam.
- No-shows will not be given a refund.
- You will receive your score right away.
- Make sure your address is correct with the Nurse Aide Registry at the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals located in Des Moines.
Advanced Nurse Aide
This 75-hour course emphasizes the knowledge, attitude and skills for a nurse aide to provide patient care in the acute care setting. Skills include preparation for pre-surgical and post-surgical procedures, suture and clip removal, and basic EKG procedures and rhythm interpretation. Students must have completed the 75-hour Nurse Aide and must be on the state registry prior to this course. BLS for Healthcare Providers is included in the class. Must complete Child and Dependent Adult Abuse Reporting online courses prior to clinical. Clinical in acute care will follow class time. You must register for both the Orientation and the Advanced Nurse Aide courses.
- Upcoming Advanced Nurse Aide (Phase 2) course flier (Orientation Mar. 16, Class meets Mar. 16 – Apr. 24, 2020; registration/payment deadline is Mar. 16)
- Online registration & payment link or call 641-752-4645
This 85-hour course includes 65 hours of class and lab and a 20 hour job shadowing component. The course presents rehabilitation concepts and techniques in healthcare. Nurse aides learn to provide care according to a care plan and under direction of the Registered Nurse and/or Physical Therapist. Competencies: restorative care for residents with neurovascular diseases, transfers, body mechanics, and use of assistive devices and prosthetics. Must complete 75-hour Nurse Aide course prior to this course.