COVID-19 Update

Check for updates regarding IVCCD’s responses to COVID-19.

At this time, our campuses are open to select students and employees only. Online classes are going smoothly; events remain canceled until further notice. A few IVCE courses will be held in May with small numbers of students in each class. Students can access our services and staff through email. The IVCE switchboard is accepting calls at 641-752-4645, but most staff are not yet working on campus at this time. Thank you for your continued understanding and support!

Skip To Main Content

GAP Tuition Assistance

 What is GAP Tuition Assistance?

Gap Tuition Assistance provides funding to eligible applicants enrolling in a GAP-approved certificate program in occupations including healthcare, advanced manufacturing, and transportation. The GAP Tuition Assistance program enables individuals to gain the necessary skills to obtain a job in an in-demand field!

What is unique about GAP Tuition Assistance?

Non-credit certificate programs are not eligible for federal financial aid, but this program bridges the funding gap for those students pursuing short-term certificates.

What is covered by GAP?

Assistance with your direct training costs including tuition, books, required fees, and equipment for GAP-approved classes:


  • Basic Electrical Certification
  • Career Pipe Welding
  • Welding for Maintenance and Repair
  • MIG (wire) Welding

Health Occupations

  • Certified Nurse Aide (CNA)
  • Advanced Nurse Aide
  • Medication Aide
  • Emergency Medical Technician
  • Advanced Emergency Medical Technician
  • Phlebotomy Technician
  • Pharmacy Technician
  • Restorative Aide


  • Class A CDL Professional Driver Preparation

Are you eligible?

The GAP Tuition Assistance program is based on financial need. Eligible participants must provide proof of gross family income, which cannot be over the 250% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (see chart). However, it is important to note that meeting the financial criteria alone DOES NOT guarantee funding from the GAP Tuition Assistance program. In addition to meeting the financial criteria, applicants must also demonstrate the capacity to achieve the program outcomes:

  • Ability to complete the certificate and earn the credential.
  • Ability to enter full-time employment.
  • Ability to retain full-time employment over time.
  • Likelihood of completion.

A variety of factors are considered when determining likelihood of completion, including potential barriers to success, soft skills, and employability.

You must have a high school diploma or equivalent to be considered for funding.

You also must be an Iowa resident and eligible to work in the United States.

Application Process

  1. Apply online here
  2. Complete the National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC)
  3. Provide proof of gross family income for the last 6 months prior to date of application
  4. Interview with Pathway Navigator

* 250% of federal poverty level subject to change. For more information on how you can get assistance for your training and education, contact: Jennifer Rice at 641-844-5629Narrowing Skills GAP Iowa Specialized Training. Please click above to hear more about the GAP/PACE program from a pre-recorded National Public Radio (NPR) program.

2018 Poverty Guidelines* – 6 Months of Gross Household Income
Effective January 13, 2018
Family Size 250% of the Federal Poverty Line
1 $15,175
2 $20,575
3 $25,975
4 $31,375
5 $36,775
6 $42,175
7 $47,575
8 $52,975
add for each additional family member $5,400

  • Live Chat