GAP Tuition Assistance
What is GAP Tuition Assistance?
Gap Tuition Assistance provides funding to eligible applicants enrolling in a GAP approved certificate program in occupations including health care, advanced manufacturing, and transportation. The GAP Tuition Assistance Program enables individuals to gain the necessary skills to obtain a job in an in-demand field!
What is unique about GAP Tuition Assistance?
Non-credit certificate programs are not eligible for federal financial aid, but this program bridges the funding gap for those students pursuing short-term certificates.
What is covered by GAP?
Assistance with your direct training costs, including tuition, books, required fees and equipment for GAP-approved classes:
- Machine Operator Program
- Career Pipe Welding
- Welding for Maintenance and Repair
- MIG (wire) Welding
- HVAC Basic
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)
- Medication Aide
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Phlebotomist Certification
- Pharmacy Technician Certification
- Class A CDL Professional Driver Preparation
Are you eligible?
The GAP Tuition Assistance Program is based on financial need. Eligible participants must provide proof of gross family income, which cannot be over the 250% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines(see chart). However, it is important to note that meeting the financial criteria alone DOES NOT guarantee funding from the GAP Tuition Assistance program. In addition to meeting the financial criteria, applicants must also demonstrate the capacity to achieve the program outcomes:
- Ability to complete the certificate and earn the credential.
- Ability to enter full-time employment.
- Ability to retain full-time employment over time.
- Likelihood of completion.
A variety of factors are considered when determining likelihood of completion including potential barriers to success, soft skills, and employability.
You must be an Iowa resident and eligible to work in the United States.
- Apply online here
- Complete the National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC)
- Provide proof of gross family income for the last 6 months prior to date of application
- Interview with Pathway Navigator
* 250% of federal poverty level subject to change. For more information on how you can get assistance for your training and education, contact: Jennifer Rice at 641-844-5629. Narrowing Skills GAP Iowa Specialized Training. Please click above to hear more about the GAP/PACE program from a pre-recorded National Public Radio (NPR) program.
|2017 Poverty Guidelines*
Effective January 17, 2017
|Family Size||Poverty Guidelines|
|1||$30,150 or less|
|2||$40,600 or less|
|3||$51,050 or less|
|4||$61,500 or less|
|5||$71,950 or less|
|6||$82,400 or less|
|7||$92,850 or less|
|8||$103,300 or less|
|add for each additional family member||$10,450|